Research reveals multi-generational trips are beneficial for all
When it comes to holidays, forget about the 2.4 family as it is time to think 3G – three generations of a family holidaying together – grandparents, parents and kids.
The desire for families to stay connected is causing sweeping changes to the priorities of holidaymakers booking a break in 2022. There has been a surge in the popularity of multi-generational holidays and, according to recent research we conducted at Clayton Hotels, the trend is set to continue.
Nowadays, with both a hectic modern family life and busy workloads, a multi-generational getaway can allow us to escape, relax and create memories to cherish.
3G Research Results
We conducted research with 2,000 respondents across the UK and 1,000 people in the Republic of Ireland and we are all in agreement – holidays for the whole family are fun for everyone!
Many of us say the pandemic made them value time with extended family more. A multi-generational family holiday can be a great opportunity for some quality time together.
Creating lasting family memories and strengthening relationships were the top reasons given for the advantages of a family trip across the generations. As well as giving parents a chance to relax with some time to themselves as the grandparents spend time with the grandkids.
Almost 43% (ROI) and 37% (UK) of those surveyed have vowed to take more 3G trips during the next five years. This was particularly true for the grandparents cohort.
The trend is only going to increase as over 66% (ROI) and 43% (UK) expect multi-generational holidays to increase in popularity in coming years.
Travel Expert Insights
Award-winning travel writer, Fionn Davenport says the research shows a real shift from the aspiration of getting away from it all to getting away with everyone.
He said: “If the past two years have taught us anything, it is to cherish our families and the time we get to spend with them. So many of us have happy memories of childhood holidays spent with parents, grandparents (as well as uncles, aunties and cousins!) and the findings from Clayton Hotels show that this trend is here to stay and will even increase in coming years. This is clearly related to the experience of the last two years. It’s all about staying connected with our families and getting out there to explore what’s on offer, booking a trip that everyone can enjoy in 2022.”
Top Tips for A Multi-Generational Trip
Making sure all ages are catered for is a must on multi-generational holidays, At Clayton Hotels, we’ve taken out the hard work from planning your getaway with the kids and grandparents with some top tipsfor your 3G trip:
- Pick a prime location – Select a location that is going to give you plenty of options for activities for all the family, both inside and outside the hotel. You will have the chance to explore the sights but also space to relax in the hotel.
- Menu matters – You want plenty of family-friendly food options for young and old alike, from children’s menus to tastes to treat all tastebuds. Reassure your family that there will be something for everyone… even some lovely cocktails at the bar for the adults!
- Review your room options – At all Clayton Hotels you have the flexibility of inter-connecting room, so you can pick your perfect room set-up.
- Check out poolside facilities – Decide what you would like for your family, and if you would like the chance to relax and take a dip in a pool then take a browse to find the perfect hotel for you.
- Spot age-friendly recognition – All Clayton Hotels in Ireland have Age Friendly Business Recognition, so you know granny and granddad will be looked after. Steps the hotels have taken to cater for the whole family include larger menu size options, designated parking and offering reading glasses at reception.
Clayton Hotels are perfect for a 3G trip, with 24 hotels to choose from across the UK and Ireland. You won’t have to look far for activities, with plenty of space for adults to relax and children to explore, both inside and outside the hotel.
Check out our full list of hotels in perfect locations for you and your family to explore. But No matter which Clayton Hotel you select, know that you can relax knowing your family’s every need will be met by our wonderful staff. We look forward to welcoming you on your next multi-generational trip!